CHARM-EU’s mission is to work closely with extra-academic actors to identify, propose and create solutions and research agendas to solve complex, global challenges. Extra-academic actors are members of social and traditional enterprise, communities and individuals across all sectors of society. Additionally, transdisciplinarity is the core principle of CHARM-EU and supports the mission and vision of the alliance. Transdisciplinarity is also a CHARM-EU educational principle. We bring multiple disciplines together with students and extra-academic actors to examine challenges, synthesise approaches and mobilise to take action. The unique transdisciplinary nature of CHARM-EU is implemented through Knowledge Creating Teams (KCTs).
KCTs are collaborative groups of academics, researchers and extra-academic actors (e.g. traditional and social enterprise) formed around a common expertise/interest related to a sustainability theme. KCTs have two levels of membership: Core and Expanded Network.
- KCT Core: research, develop and teach challenge-based content in the pilot master's programme.
- KCT Expanded Network: join and build trans-institutional research communities and communities of CHARM-EU stakeholders connected to thematic challenge areas.
Both the KCT Core and Expanded Networks also function as pan-European research networks.
KCT members can be described as knowledge brokers who facilitate a diverse group of academic and extra-academic actors to negotiate a transdisciplinary approach to educating students to analyse and propose solutions to complex societal challenges.
KCT Core and Expanded Members are experts within a specific field but also T-shaped generalists who have the demonstrated or acquired through professional development the competence to negotiate and integrate multiple disciplinary and extra-academic perspectives into research and educational experiences and curriculum content. They possess the following skills, knowledge and competencies acquired through professional experience and/or through CHARM-EU’s Professional Development programme of activities:
- A solid understanding of CHARM-EU Educational Principles in particular transdisciplinarity and challenge-based learning.
- Expertise in innovative delivery for example hybrid learning and intercultural classroom dynamics, mentoring, facilitation etc.
- Competency in facilitation, teamwork, negotiation, open communication and intercultural awareness.
- Experience with community-engaged research and teaching.
- Familiarity with implementation science and strategies for maximising research impact.
As part of its activities, CHARM-EU is offering students the opportunity to enroll on a master’s programme in Global Challenges for Sustainability, in the multiple campuses of CHARM-EU alliance universities across Europe from September 2021. KCTs have essential tasks in the development of the master’s programme.
This section gives a sample mapping of KCT roles with CHARM-EU’s pilot Master’s in Global Challenges for Sustainability. There are five KCTs Phase Teams in CHARM-EU’s pilot Master’s in Global Challenges for Sustainability:
- KCT 1: Phase One Content Team (P1CT)
- KCT 2: Flexible Phase Food
- KCT 3: Flexible Phase Water
- KCT 4: Flexible Phase Life & Health
- KCT 5: Capstone Phase Team (CPT)
Each corresponds to a phase or theme in the pilot Master’s programme:
- KCT Food
- KCT Water
- KCT Life & Health
You can also participate in the first phase of Transversal skills (Social innovation, Sustainability and Transdisciplinary research), or in the Capstone phase.
The first activities of the KCT are related to the Master in Global Challenges for Sustainability. A group of 35 people (Core KCT) has already designed the master programme and is now developing the detailed content and activities. This team is ready to bring you in, depending on your expertise, to participate in the implementation of the master programme.
Join our KCTs!
We call on business and civil society organisations as well as other extra-academic actors to create solid synergies between university and society, building a sustainable and greener future for all. Your registration will be formalised through one of CHARM-EU partner universities (University of Barcelona, Trinity College Dublin, Utrecht University, Eötvös Loránd University or University of Montpellier).
For more information on how to become a KCT member, please send an email to email@example.com